Filing a Complaint

There are a variety of instances that may require action taken by the township. Some of these instances include poor township road conditions and violations of township ordinances.

All complaints must be made in writing. The township cannot take action on a complaint that is not in writing because in the event the issue goes to court, documentation of the complaint is required to back up the case. We also require written complaints in order for the correct parties to reach out for additional information if needed.

A complainant and submitted forms are protected under the Right-to-Know Law exemptions under Section 708.17, which states:

“A record of an agency relating to a noncriminal investigation, including:
(i) Complaints submitted to an agency.
(ii) Investigative materials, notes, correspondence and reports.
(iii) A record that includes the identity of a confidential source, including individuals subject to the act of December 12, 1986 (P.L.1559, No.169), known as the Whistleblower Law.”

Therefore, Greene Township will NOT give your name, phone #, or other information to another resident pertaining to this form. The only time your name would be released would be if you were needed to testify in court.

What is Ordinance Enforcement?

The township has ordinances governing the use of private property in order to maintain the health, safety and welfare of the citizens. These ordinances contain definitions, outline the duties of citizens, and explain the penalties for violation.

Click here to view the township ordinances.

Who is in Charge of Enforcement?

The roadmaster is in charge of township road issues. The board of supervisors has appointed a Code Enforcement Officer to investigate and enforce violations of township ordinances.

How is a Complaint Filed?

Complaints must be provided in writing. A Request for Action form can be found here:

Complaints will not be accepted verbally. All complaints must be in writing and the form must be filled out completely.

What Happens Once I’ve Filed a Written Complaint?

Once the township receives a written complaint, it is given to the appropriate party (road complaints given to the roadmaster, ordinance violation complaints given to the code enforcement officer).

Township road complaints are inspected and addressed by the roadmaster/road crew and handled in order of severity.

Ordinance violations are investigated by the code enforcement officer and the board of supervisors. If a violation is confirmed, a letter of violation is sent to the property owner. The violation is monitored and if no action is taken after three (3) notice of violation letters are sent, the situation is then pursued though the court system.

Resolutions can take weeks or months, depending on complexity and legal ramifications involved.

What Should I Do if I Receive a Notice of Violation Letter?

If you receive a notice of violation letter from the township, please read the full ordinance that is referred to in the letter and comply with the requirements to remedy the violation as quickly as possible. If you have questions regarding the violation and/or ordinance, please contact the code enforcement officer (contact information located at the bottom of the letter).